Wednesday 11 April 2012

Starting out in cake decorating

I started cake decorating about 9 months ago... it all came about from my youngest daughter's christening.  I had asked a friend's cousin if she could make me a cake as she had started decorating and her creations were amazing.  On the day of the christening everyone was so impressed by the very simple yet elegant cake that this girl had made which started me thinking - "what does she have that i dont to make such an impressive cake?"  I have two hands and a creative brain... I just need cake decorating equipment and lots and lots of practice...

So then it began... I spent hours and hours researching all about cake decorating, the steps on how to create the perfect cake, tips on how to make fondant creations, and so on... I went on to eBay and purchased the basic cake decorating tools and watched youtube tutorials on how to use fondant.  I sourced out a local cake decorating/supply shop to buy equipment and ingredients... then I was ready to start.

So now the days of following the Women's Weekly Birthday Cake book of sculpting and icing/decorating kids birthday cakes are over and a whole new world of cake decorating with fondant has opened...

Above photo: the cake that inspired me to start cake decorating...

No comments:

Post a Comment